Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Executive MBA Time @ Koç University!

I am so lucky to get a chance to realize another long-term dream of mine, and get enrolled to an Executive MBA program! It will start next week and will last 13 months. I am sure that it won't be easy at all. I already got the first assignment today (reading one case for the orientation day), but I am looking forward to meet my lecturers and classmates on the kick-off day on 3rd of August at Koç University.

Koç Executive MBA Program is ranked 57th by Financial Times last year (2010), moving up from 63rd place in 2009 and this ranking places Koç University Graduate School of Business among the leading graduate schools of business in the world.

I am sure, I will gain many in depth theoretical knowledge and practical experience in many areas, such as finance, marketing and strategy... but I am aware that, for the leadership skills there are a lot more to do...

I already knew that it depends only me how much I benefit from this education opportunity, but the below post was just what I needed to read right now! :-)

So, please join me in reading a short but very well put leadership lesson from the blog of Ana Dutra...
I hope you enjoy it as well!
Sinan

I have the privilege of being surrounded by an exceptional leadership team and periodically will invite a colleague to contribute to this blog. Here is a great piece on leadership development in MBA programs written by my colleague, Stuart Kaplan, COO of Korn/Ferry Leadership and Talent Consulting:



Do MBAs really learn to be leaders?

A disclaimer: I loved my MBA program. But, I graduated wondering, “When do I learn about leadership?”
 I went to a top school with very accomplished students, and one day I asked a peer, “When do you think we’ll learn about leadership?” A future management consultant, my friend said, “What would we need that for?” He continued, “Look, I want to use my mind, to look around corners, to help companies make great strategic decisions. The soft stuff is a waste of time.” Not certain who was more naïve, I said, “And what will happen when it’s no longer you and your spreadsheet and YOU are the leader of a team of consultants?” After 20 years in consulting, I know with certainty who was more naïve.

Next month, thousands of new MBA students will start school, awaiting mega-doses of finance, economics, marketing, operations, and strategy. Maybe an ethics course; maybe an entrepreneurism course. But few will learn leadership in the courses they take. While some schools – for example, Kellogg’s Executive MBA program, Vanderbilt’s Owen School full-time MBA, and Brown/IE’s Executive MBA program – have made great strides with leadership development, many programs have not. This is a problem; leadership MATTERS for MBA students.

Let’s not debate why leadership matters; that’s well documented. Instead, let’s focus on what you can do if your school (or your company!) short-changes the topic of leadership. How can you “own” your development as a leader?

First, know yourself as a leader, whatever your starting point. What are your leadership strengths; your weaknesses? What are your distinctive views or beliefs about effective leadership? What has been your personal journey that shaped your leadership beliefs? It is especially important to obtain objective data by asking others how they see you as a leader today. Seek out 360* assessments. Be bold. Self-awareness is the meta-competence in leadership effectiveness.

Second, know what leadership attributes matter for your career aspiration. Characteristics of effective leaders differ greatly in entrepreneurial situations, large-organization general management, swat-team consulting environments, etc. Find out “what matters” by asking people in those professions.

Third, develop intentionally. Don’t leave your leadership development to chance. Once you know your gaps, seek to close them, take risks, ask for help, and learn from mistakes. It all adds up.

Fourth, tell others about who you are as a leader. Be assertive. Make the abstract concrete. This turns thought into action and creates belief and forward momentum. Then, watch how others rally around to support your goals.

…and be sure to enjoy your MBA experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment